Monday, November 17, 2008

The Wise Men

All our lives we have heard of (especially at Christmas) the story of the 3 wise men who came to see the blessed baby Jesus. We all love the story, but today as we begin the holiday season,did you know that I have my own 3 wise men ? I would like to tell you about them.

How do I come to have three wise men of my own? Actually they came by way of much prayer! I began thinking about them when I was a little girl and would remember my aunts and uncles and how much I loved them all and did not realize until I was about
5 that they were not all my grandparents children, that some of them had actually married the children of my grandparents! Then later on when they first lay Libbi into my arms I began to pray for my own wise men. Now I have to admit that they were not the top thing on my priority list of prayers until much later-about the time my daughters reached the age of marriage. I quickly realized tht they would never find my wise men on their own and the prayers of my youth came back again but they were more frequent then ever. For finding wise men is not easy. As you remember, in the scriptures the wise men brought gold, frankinsence and myrrh. I wanted my wise men to bring all of these things, let's examine gold for instance. Throughout all time gold has always been a precious metal. Gold cannot be melted very easily, in fact the only way to get gold is to heat up the rock and the elements melt away leaving pure gold. That is what I wanted my wise men most to to be, pure gold. For they would have forever, what I hold most precious! See, their gold (their purity) would be needed throughout their lives. Gold is easily molded when in its pure state, and as they went forward in their lives, they would have to be molded and bent a lot. They would have to put themselves last many times as their wives and children would need things and they would have to change molds and bend and stretch to do all that was required of them. But like gold no matter how much they were fired and changed they would always be the same, pure gold. We see in our lives in the market(especially now) often stocks and bonds come and go, but gold is always priceless. And my wise men would be priceless.

Frankinsence was the second gift they brought the Christ child. It was highly valued as perfume, one made up of several ingredients-and so like this wonderful perfume, my wise men had to be made up of many ingredients-honesty, loyality, kindness, virtuousness, doing good to all men,steadiness, and many other wonderful qualities.

Myrrh was the last gift the Wise Men brought to Jesus. Myrrh is used in preparation of many ointments and perfumes and was very rare! My wise men would be the only
ointment many times that could soothe tears and help heal broken hearts.

Now the wise men that came to Jesus dropped everything and came when he was born! How did they know to come? For many years they had studied the scriptures and they recognized the signs. My wise men too would recognize three wonderful women that the Lord (with my prayers) had put in their way. And I am so grateful they did.

May my special wise men have a wonderful Christmas season, I only thought you were wise when I first got you but through the years you have grown so much and are truly pure gold.

Thank you for all that you are and all that you will yet become. My wise men, Pete, Jerry and Jeff! I love you,
Grandma

6 comments:

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

Grandma - that was wonderful writing and a wonderful story! I'm so glad you're blogging again!
It almost brought a tear to my eye at the end when I paused for a moment to think of what a wise man my dad is and how much I cherish him and all he's taught me and done for me. I'm glad you see that too. :)

kim e said...

I keep telling you to write a book so the whole world can have those warm fuzzy feelings when they read what you write and the tears and smiles happen all at the same time!
I am glad I was given the wisest mother who like Mary always chooses the better part.

Jean said...

I agree with Kim...I am thankful for the many hours of prayer you spent on my part because I believe I hit the jackpot when it comes to husbands. I am glad that you can see what a gem he, Jerry, and Pete are. I am grateful to have a mother who loves so purely and understands what being wise is all about. I shed a few tears while reading this and smiled at the same time! Thanks, Momma...this would probably bring a tear to Jeff's eyes as well! I love you!

Libbi said...

I have always told everyone that my Mama has a direct line to Heavenly Father and that if you REALLY want something, get her to pray for it! And, I base that on the three men you "prayed up" for me and my sisters. They truly are wise men and could not be more perfect for each of us! I cannot imagine living a single day without Pete as the "wind beneath my wings". He loves me completely, laughs at my nonsense, gives me freedom and gently but firmly stops me when I get too far out of line (does that happen often :) ?) I love my brothers-in-law also and recognize their incredible worth, Thank you for writing that...it made Pete cry...and I will never put up a nativity scene without smiling at the wise men and being grateful for a mom that prayed ours up (and you are continuing that tradition for who in the world could be more perfect for Beth and LaNelle than Rob and Steven??)We are so blessed!!

Marina said...

I am a friend of Libbi's and I stopped by to read your story...It is beautiful. The faith and prayer of a virtuous woman can accomplish anything. There is proof right here. Thanks for sharing one of your sacred experiences to the rest of us so that our faith can increase too. Additionally, know that if they are the wise men, you are the guiding star...a steady, unwavering, constant beacon. Your service is invaluable, honorable, and noble.

LaNelle said...

Oh grandma I loved your post! I have to agree with everything you said! I never realized how wise my dad was until I moved away to college and heard roommates and friends talk about their dads and I began to realize how lucky I was to get the dad that I got! And I believe that so far your granddaughters who are married (ok that means just Me and Beth haha) have been blessed by your prayers too because we sure got lucky when it comes to our husbands!