Sunday, July 13, 2008

Precious Memories

Last week I shared some of my memories of you grandchildren and most of you knew who I was talking about. This week I want to share some of my memories of my kids when they were young. See if you recognize your parents. At 3 1/2 they were going to preschool 2 days a week and the first day I was going to give a check to the lady that picked them up and they said, "I am a big _____, I can take it myself.", "they didn't have any boys, 'no', I replied. "Well, I guess a girl will have to do, I'll love her anyway." The next episode involved two of them...I had gone shopping with Lou and Ma-Maw and although I had never left the kids with anyone, Monnie and Lou insisted that I needed a break so they brought "Punchy" over, Ma-Maw's maid of 10 years and all was well or so I thought. Punchy met me at the door saying "they are the worst chllin I ever seed" because they had gone under my Christmas tree (I had wrapped all the adult gifts and had that out of the way or so I thought) and had unwrapped each gift...one playing Santa and the other opening and then seeing they were not for them the unwrapped them all. When asked who they loved the best, this one would say, "I love all two both of you". "I see your hiney so bright and shiney...", a song this one had learned at achool (not from their teacher) and proceeded to sing out as I thought they were going to sing a church song for my Aunt Audrey. "Somebody stepped on somebody's toe...(not wanting to hurt my mother's feelings when she accidentally stepped on their toe). "I hadn't been born yet"...all about a picture on the wall or lack thereof. "Why aren't you playing with the others", my friend asked as she brought be dinner after I had been in an auto accident. "Because my mother is my best friend and she plays basketball with us everyday!" "You have worms", I explained to this little one as I was examining her in the dark with a flashlight..."Oh no," she exclaimed, "Are they the kind you go fishing with?" "Can dogs go to heaven?" this little one asked. "I don't know, I don't think so", was my reply. "Well one good thing", they replied. "They won't go to hell either." (You have to remember this was long before we ever heard of the church.) There are so many more but there isn't enough space to write it.

One of my favorite quotes is, "Live so that others that know you but don't know Him will want to know Him because they know you."

I love you each one!

6 comments:

Jean said...

I actually loved that post and I knew who everyone was...I still DO NOT like the fact that you have that BIG HUGE picture hanging in your den of your other children and there is not one of me...still! Thanks for sharing those memories...it is always fun to go back and remember!

kim e said...

I think I got everyone right.

kim e said...

I love that quote.

Libbi said...

love your quote and love your memories but kept getting me and Floyd confused...maybe because for the first decade of my life, I don't think I have a single memory without him in it! and hello, we probably learned to peek at the gifts from you!!! hahahaha you forgot about the brand new expensive bedroom furniture that someone scratched the letters K I M into and me and Floyd both got in trouble for but not the person whose name had the letters K I M and who actually did the carving because that child was so perfect, it just couldn't have been that angel...(and she knows who she is and that I love her dearly)

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

That was cute. I love that Libbi and Floyd always get portrayed as the trouble makers...haha and my mom the perfect sensitive child...so funny. (She is much more blunt now though.) You know how you used to put stories in those letters you sent every week on your mission? Can you send more...except save yourself stamps and use the blog or email. I love those 'back porch stories' as you called them!! Beth

myglorydays said...

I love you too Sister Ard - haha!
I like to include myself in your family. Not sure of who was who - pretty sure of Libby & Jean's quotes. My kids unwrapped & then rewrapped the Christmas gifts. They were adults when they told me it was not the cat. LOL
Keep blogging I can laugh & cry from your words. I do love you really.