Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March is blowing in like a Lion

We have had rain, wind, sleet and snow! What a way to begin March!
so beartiful tho, it was like heavenly Father just painted the trees and srubs and yes, my daffodils too, with a white paint brush! How I wish I could paint!
Now for all the birthdays! Andrew, Jerry, Jared, Melonie, my nephew
Brandon and I hope I have not forgotton any! Happy Birthday to you all!!

Oh yes, my great grandmother, Harriet Morgan Kees, born on March 18th. And I want to talk about her . She was pregnant with her 12th child, having lost 3 as infants and her husband, John Quitman Kees took his boys Gus, Lee and Jesse(Daddy Kees) down to the swimming hole, but before he would let them swim, he dove in to see if it were safe and it wasn't and he broke his neck. So here is this young woman left with 8 living children and expecting another- a widow! did she falter under the task no way!
She held her head high and ran a farm and reared those 9 chidren and lived to be 94. Each of those chidren grew up respectable and made her proud. And they cared for and loved her and praised her all of her life.
I can remember sitting at her feet and thinking she was like a big doll, she had a rocking chair with birds carved out of wood on the arms of the chair, funny what you remember) she weighed about 90 pounds and was tiny, yet her big sons honored her for she was truly a "steel magnolia"! She went on to bury another daughter befor she died. Yet I can always remember her saying what a wonderful life she had and how gratful she was the Lord had allowed her to live so long! What lessons we can learn from her! Happy Birthday, Grandma Kees!!

3 comments:

kim e said...

I always love the family History stories. It is neat to have you to connect us to our past. Also, Everyone, one bday was left out on this blog!!!!! Happy Birthday # 70 on March 30 Momma and thanks for always being the Greatest MOM. I love you.

Jean said...

I love that story about your great grandmother. I am like Kim, you help to bring the past to life and I love it! I also love you and think you are the very best mom ever!!!

Libbi said...

I remember that story now but had forgotten it...thanks for documenting it!! I can imagine her...wow..we should all shut up bellaching, huh? I cannot believe you are going to be 70...I'm so glad you are a young 70 and hope you know how much we love and appreciate you!!